The extended essay shows that you can conduct practical research and formulate the appropriate research question. In addition, you might develop your personal argumentation, communication skills, analyzing and thinking.
In 2018, there were some changes made to an IB extended essay assessment. There is a list of amendments:
- Every research question has to be posed as a research question. You have to make judgments as if you are responding to the research questions.
- The use of endnotes, footnotes, and appendices are more clarified. To make it clear, endnotes and footnotes are not a significant part of the IB extended essay, and examiners should not read them.
- There are changes related to references to external sources: all your references to external sources, such as links to YouTube, and supplemental information presented in the form of CDs or DVDs, will not be accepted. Providing this type of information is a violation.
- The abstract of the IB extended essay is not a formal requirement anymore. Yay!
- External mentors are allowed to help you with writing. The guidance of the external mentor can be used in case there is a permission from the school. Your external mentor has to be provided with an official letter, which clarifies the permitted level of guidance.
- There are some special requirements for fonts, line spacing, and font size for the extended essay. It was added as a rule to show that an IB extended essay is one of the academic works.
- The "best-fit" approach is used to assess the extended essay this year. What does it mean? Compensation has to be made in case a piece of paper matches various aspects of a marked band at various levels. The mark given should be the one which most fairly shows the balance between achievement and mark band.
We hope that your IB extended essay will be perfect with the help of our tips on how to write it. Good luck!